Justin's HIV Journal

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Justin's HIV Journal: HIV + Me Shoot & Ms Ongina Ryan



First let me say I was so excited and happy to be picked to work on the HIV + Me Project. When I got the e-mail from the Logo Network I was so thrilled, then when I read on it said I would be working with none other than Ongina Ryan from RuPaul’s Drag Race I screamed and I melted. I arrived in NJ that Friday and was greeted by Mr. New Jersey Leather 2010 Damian Parra. He and his family helped me out that weekend, I was suppose to be staying in the Bronx of NY but the friend that I originally was suppose to stay with had to go to the ER, but is doing fine now. I do appreciate all the hospitality they showed me. I stayed in NJ for most of my trip, and I loved it. So decided that I wanted Damian to go with my to the HIV + Me shoot and also I figured he could show me around NY’s Christopher Street, Chelsea etc. We had a blast. I hadn’t been to NY’s gay district since back in 2004 with my ex. The sun was out and I was taking in the sights and sounds of New York.

If you have been with me from the beginning that you would seen a video I posted when Ongina Ryan was so courageous to open up about her HIV status on national television. If not it is right here.

Before I met her in person I was so scared I didn’t know what to expect. When I walked into the studio I met Adam Abernathy who I believe is the producer of HIV+Me, he thanked me for coming and I thanked him for the invite. He then said, “Justin this is Ongina, Ongina this is Justin”. Then who do I see, the beautiful and talented, Ongina Ryan, she said, “Ohh I know Justin, how are you?” I got a hug and kiss on the check. I was ecstatic. I said, “Hey I’m fine and you” She looked down at my leather pants and said, “Oh look at her trying to out do me with her pants”. We both laughed. She was such a joy to work. I hope I get to work with her again. She is amazing. The interview was awesome and I wanted to stay for longer. But I wanted to see more of the Village of NY.



My segment will premiere on the LOGO Network in May 2010. I can’t wait but to see others in the HIV + Me project, Click Here.

FOLLOW JUSTIN'S HIV JOURNAL